Re: On versioning and extensibility of Media Capture and Streams

Hi Stefan,

> On 07 Oct 2015, at 09:26, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:

[...]

> Our proposal on how to deal with this is:

Thanks for coming up with a proposal.

> - In the core spec in better detail describe how to extend it. Perhaps
> the SW extensibility section [4] can be used as a model

This would be very helpful. Another example of an extensibility section (work-in-progress):

https://w3c.github.io/sensors/#extensibility

> - Develop additions and new functionality as separate documents
> (auxiliary specifications)

With the above guidance on extensibility, developing new functionality separately would allow these extension specs to be consistent with the core and among themselves, which would make merging them back to the core less of a chore.

> - For each new version of the core spec consider merging in
> functionality currently in auxiliary specifications.

I assume a new version in this context refers to a TR publication?

> It has been proposed to develop the core specification in parallel
> tracks (using separate branches in github), e.g. “Rec-track” and
> “Nightly”. We believe that is a model that should be used with caution
> as we fear that as soon as people start working on the “Nightly” version
> the momentum to finalize the “Rec-track” will be lost. We think the
> model adopted in the WebRTC WG, where the work on a next version can’t
> start until the current version reaches CR, is better.

I can see the concern of spreading resources too thin. If we had its own editor(s) for the rec-track and nightly branches this might work -- but I think we're not there.

> Feedback wanted!

Thanks,

-Anssi