RE: [Media Capture] Human readable message not localizable? [I18N-ISSUE-465]

Hello Harald and Media Capture,

> > The "message" construct is copied straight out of ECMAScript - is
> > there a best practice in ECMAScript with regard to these messages?

I assume you mean Error.message?

The short answer is that ES doesn't provide direction or language metadata. The message is "just a string" that hopefully contains the correctly localized information for the user--the kind of thing you'd throw up in an alert or log. ES doesn't consider distributed applications, not does it provide for the additional metadata needs that some messages require for proper display.

Given that MediaStreamError is just an extension of Error, I suspect that my comment is invalid.

The workaround for Bidi support rests on the message author using Unicode bidirectional controls in cases where the Unicode Bidi Algorithm needs a little help.

Equally, the code that generates the Error is responsible for getting the correct language into the message.  To the extent that this is the same language as that of the operating environment where the script is running, that's not such a problem. It's more of a problem in distributed environments and wire formats for instantiating errors probably should think about providing for localization and possibly direction information--and probably I18N should be mentioning this to the ES folks.

In any case, I think you can close this comment as "wontfix" or "invalid".

Addison