RE: Settings extensions for depth (was: Depth image capture workflow proposal for Web)

Hi Anssi,

> Hi Giri, Ningxin,
>
> > On 24 Mar 2015, at 01:09, Mandyam, Giridhar <mandyam@quicinc.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I assume that the settings listed in the current Depth Camera extensions
> (http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-depth/#settings-dictionary) are
> compatible with RealSense SDK.  So I have a homework assignment to see if
> these settings work with the Qualcomm-recommended driver.
>
> Giri - sounds great. The current extensions for the Settings dictionary
> constitute a baseline that should be supported by all depth cameras and
> SDKs out there:
>
>   http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-depth/#settings-dictionary

These current attributes are common for both color camera and depth camera.

> In addition to the above baseline, we're looking at further metadata that
> would enable new use cases, see:
>
>   https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-depth/issues/72

These new attributes are specific for depth camera.

> For example, better depth precision may be preferred near the camera for
> some use cases, think face recognition, while not so while measuring the
> distance to far away objects.
>
> Ningxin - could you elaborate the use cases that motivated the extra
> attributes to provide background for other folks who may not be familiar
> with the specifics.

These attributes are common in native SDK. They are used to explain the depth data in DepthMap interface.

Tango project has a good documentation of these attributes: https://developers.google.com/depthmap-metadata/reference

Thanks,
-ningxin