Re: [rtcweb] Conditions for long-term permissions grants

On 13/03/15 14:20, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:50 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no
> <mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:
>
>     I have argued in the past that we should separate the
>     ask-for-permissions step from the use-device step, and found that the
>     consensus of the group was that the two should not be separated.
>
>     However, if the group were to change its mind, it would not be illogical
>     to attach the "and store this permission for this origin forever or
>     until the user revokes it" to the ask-for-permissions step rather than
>     the use-device step.
>
>     This would, however, be an incompatible change from what browsers
>     currently do, which is to save permissions whenever they think it's
>     reasonable to do so.
>

> That's not quite what Firefox does. Firefox only saves persistent
> permissions
> if the user asks it to.
>
>     (If we were to retrofit the explicit model of permissions storage onto
>     the getUserMedia joint model without an API change, we could define a
>     constraint called "permissionPersistence" with values "this-call" and
>     "until-revoked"
>

> Yes, this is roughly what I think the Security Architecture document
> contemplates. Again, I should emphasize that I'm willing to be convinced
> that the Security Architecture requirements are wrong, but if that's so,
> we do need to determine what, if anything, the specs say here.

My conclusion of the discussion so far is that we do not have consensus
to change the gUM API to enable the application to specifically request
persistent permission, so I think we should simply change the Security
Architecture document requirement.

On the second part, if, and if so how, the text in the gUM document
should be changed I'm less sure. I think that we at the very least at
some stage need to go through what is stated, and how it is stated, now,
because currently we have under the main heading "Implementation
Suggestions" and sub-heading "Best Practice 2: Stored Permissions" the
text "Such storing MUST only be done when the page is secure (served
over HTTPS and having no mixed content)." It is not entirely clear to me
if something under "suggestions" and "best practice" is normative or not.

Stefan