Re: Request for feedback: Media Capture and Streams Last Call

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:28 AM, Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
wrote:

> Rules about cookies were laid down at a time the privacy risks were not as
> clear. New APIs need to take into account what we have learnt since then
> and user’s increasing concerns about privacy. Of course you could add
> sections calling for UA UI to explain the risks, which would have to be
> spelled out as it is a new technology, but why not do better than that. The
> W3C has a responsibility to regain user’s trust in the platform.

That's certainly not an unreasonable view, but the countervailing view is
that the limits
for what new technologies can do are set based on what the platform can
already
do with existing technologies (cf. CORS).

> What is the reason for allowing unauthorised access to deviceID anyway?

Dialog fatigue.

> And why by third-parties?

To allow embedded video calling apps.

-Ekr