Video filter (was: W3C Last Call announcement for Media Capture)

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:43:10 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
CC: public-media-capture@w3.org
On 13/04/2015 22:44, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Video filters are being written using the canvas api these days. You
> capture frames into the canvas and then can do whatever you like with
> the pixels. This can also be done with live video. Is that not
> sufficient? What is the use case?

As far as I know, using canvas for video manipulation is OK when the
said manipulation is achievable on the CPU, but a lot of manipulation
can only be reasonably achieved with the help of the GPU.

As graphic cards bring a lot of hardware-baked video manipulation
features, a Web API that would enable to use these on video streams
would be useful.

WebCL is a contender in this space, but I don't think it has gained much
traction so far: https://www.khronos.org/webcl/

Dom