Re: On Bug 23934 "Always launch permission prompt to avoid leakage"

On 14 May 2014 11:15, Jim Barnett <1jhbarnett@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is reasonable.  (As as aside, if the app is calling gUM
> repeatedly in order to fingerprint, won't it likely trigger the permissions
> prompt?  If the app already knows which calls to gUM it can make without
> triggering the permissions prompt, it doesn't need to finger print, does
> it?)

A careful fingerprinter will only trigger the prompt once, at which
point they will have collected all the information they require.

A careful and conservative fingerprinter will be able to avoid the
prompt entirely for many users.  Assuming that they place an upper
bound on the amount of information they probe for.