Re: Constraints 2014 new slides

On 3/27/14 3:06 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
> I would also like to clarify my earlier point on the simplicity of
> syntax.  It's very much a matter of personal taste.  I was raised on
> LISP and find nested structures quite intuitive, while I dislike
> syntaxes that have semantically distinct concepts at the same level -
> so "width" and "require" are at the same level in the dictionary yet
> mean very different things.  I don't expect others to share my tastes,
> but I don't  think that there is a fact of the matter as to which of
> the proposals is simpler.

I appreciate that, I have likes and dislikes as well that guide me at times.

But you probably had a LISP compiler growing up, and you weren't just
writing lisp-like structures of your own kind, you were actually writing
LISP, because it compiled!

I'm wide open to tastes about where the "require" member is most
meaningful to people, as long as it is valid. The current spec was never
valid, and still isn't.

To the people who say that doesn't matter: imagine discussing c++ with
someone without a c++ compiler.

.: Jan-Ivar :.

--
.: Jan-Ivar :.