Re: Future of SourceType - Call For Consensus?

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Harald Alvestrand
> <harald@alvestrand.no <mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:
>> At the moment, we have 3 bugs that touch on SourceType, listed here:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=sourcetype&list_id=40270
>>
>> Reminder: SourceType is this enum:
>>
>> enum SourceTypeEnum {
>>     "none",
>>     "camera",
>>     "microphone"
>> };

I think SourceTypeEnum is ill suited for extensions that aren't
subclasses of cameras or microphones because it has no obvious default
value, which means old code sees new devices. If we added, say, a
"screen" value to that enum then screen devices would start showing up
among cameras (assuming we're doing video constraints) on old browsers.
The only reason cameras and microphones don't mix is because we
segregate them explicitly. So to make this work we'd have to add a new
top-level type next to audio and video for every new SourceTypeEnum and
explicitly support it at the top level, with it's own set of constraints.

On 7/7/14 6:33 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Harald Alvestrand
> <harald@alvestrand.no <mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:
>
>     Can you think of a way to get someone to volunteer to write such a
>     spec?
>

> https://github.com/fluffy/w3c-screen-share

MediaSourceEnum (from
http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fluffy/w3c-screen-share/master/screenshare.html#screen-based-video-constraints
) does have an obvious default, given today's systems and being under
video: "camera".

I actually recommend we add "camera" as a WebIDL default here, like this:

enum MediaSourceEnum {
     "camera",
     "browser",
     "application",
     "screen"
};

dictionary MediaTrackConstraintSet {
   ConstrainMediaSource mozMediaSource = "camera";
};

Because doing so has a desirable effect:

A default value here means all uses to date as well as all uses that
don't explicitly provide a different value will get mediaSource:
"camera" implicitly, which will filter out all screensharing devices by
default, which I think is what we want. We don't want screensharing
devices to pop up in the regular camera list.

There'll effectively be "sub-pools" of devices (cameras, browsers,
application and screen) that users will never see a union of, which I
believe we desire.

.: Jan-Ivar :.