Re: Constraints and MediaRecorder

On 02/03/2014 08:55 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> On 2/3/14 2:35 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> On 02/03/2014 06:32 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
>>> These are all fine, but this offers little material support for the
>>> use of constraints in this specific use case.  Is there anything wrong
>>> with:
>>>
>>> app: get me a 96kHz recorder
>>> browser: can't do that
>>>
>>> Because that's what is being suggested.
>> It seems to me more complex to do:
>>
>> app: get me a 96khz recorder
>> browser: can't do that
>> app: get me a 80khz recorder
>> browser: can't do that
>> app: get me a 48khz recorder
>> browser: can't do that
>> app: get me a 44.1khz recorder
>> browser: ok, here's one
>>
>> than to do
>>
>> app: get me a recorder absolutely above 40 khz, prefer one above 80 khz
>> browser: ok, here's an 88.2khz recorder
>
> The first one is simpler because the second one is a new language.

But since we already have this language in GUM, it's no longer a new
language.

(I may have been too subtle. In the probing approach, you ended up with
a 44.1 kHz recorder because that's what the application knew how to
probe for.
In the "ranges of options" approach, you ended up with an 88.2 kHz
recorder because the application did *not* probe for specific values.)