Re: Constraints and MediaRecorder

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>wrote:

>   For MIME type, I can see that some applications would just want to
> reject "bad" types in some cases. Such applications can just start
> recording, then check the value of "type" and react accordingly if it's not
> a type it can use (e.g. by stopping the recorder and giving feedback to the
> user).
>

> This argues against your suggestion that the MIME type should be given (as
> a single value) in init parameters. Either multiple types are acceptable
> (in which a single parameter isn't saying anything, since the UA can just
> disregard it), or they are not (in which case a single parameter should
> cause failure if it can't be satisfied).

If use-cases demand complex type choosing strategies, then I would suggest
offering MediaRecoder.canRecordType as a parallel to
HTMLMediaElement.canPlayType.

I would still advocate allowing the UA to choose a different type if the
specified type is unsupported, because that makes the more robust behavior
the default.

 Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w