Re: Constraints and MediaRecorder

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:

>  I feel like we're just re-fighting the battle about mandatory
> constraints.
> As far as I can tell, there was general consensus to stay with the
>  existing mandatory/optional constraint structure for gUM.
>
>  I realize that there are a number of people who were in the rough
> on that discussion, and are no happier about it here, but unless
> there are some arguments that apply in particular to
> MediaRecorder and *not* to gUM, then there seems like
> a pretty strong consistency argument for using the same style
> throughout the specification.
>

> This is about using Constrainable in MediaRecorder, which several of us
> argue is a bad idea

Yes, I understand this point. Hence the sentence above containing the
words "in particular to MediaRecorder and *not* to gUM".

My point is that MediaRecorder is quite a bit more like gUM than it
is like RTCPeerConnection and so the same reasoning which kept
it in gUM equally well applies to MediaRecorder. So, again, I ask
what argument do you have for why constraints are bad for
MediaRecorder that don't equally well apply to gUM? [0]

-Ekr

[0] I note that Martin above raises the issue of device contention,
but I don't think that's material.