Re: Github repo notifications

* Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>I have pretty broad control on the events that get notified, and the
>messages that get sent, and can thus accommodate changes that people
>would like to see once we start getting more experience with these
>notifications.

It http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/0012
seems the messages are rather broken, the subject has two spaces after
the tag instead of one, HTML escapes in plaintext, they are not properly
wrapped, insufficient formatting, e.g. no white space to visually sepa-
rate the overlong addresses from possibly useful text, and for responses
in discussion threads the messages do not even quote relevant context. I
do not really see utility in reading nothing but "LGTM" without context
three times in a row, like

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/0021
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/0022
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/0023

It seems to me, if these mails are not at all like regular discussion
mails, they should not be mixed with them as if they were. Archival and
keeping people up to date over the mailing list could still be done by
stuffing all the notifications into regular single-mail digests. Those
could even be `multipart/digest` mails, so clients can automatically un-
fold them into the regular mailing list view if people would like that.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/