Re: MediaStreamTrack errors: Getting information up?

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:19:43 +0200
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
On 08/29/2014 08:13 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Seems basically like a good idea.  Did you have any ideas on what this
> "error" attribute might contain?

The "error" attribute would contain a MediaStreamError, which has a name
and a message; I'd seek to recycle the names we're already using when
appropriate (such as NoSuchDevice(sp?) when the user unplugs the ccamera
mid-call), adopt some from DOM4 when that makes sense, and invent new
ones as needed (if needed).

The most important one may be the ever-fearsome "internal error"....

>   A DOMString is OK for debugging, but
> an enumeration permits programmatic interaction.  If you go for an
> enumeration, a "cause" attribute might be better, so that you can
> include things like "remote peer stopped sending", "local source
> stopped", and "reached end of input source", all of which might be
> non-error cases.
>
> On 29 August 2014 04:45, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> MediaStreamErrorEvent
> Maybe MediaStreamEndedEvent so that you don't have to explain why an
> event with Error in its name is being generated in non-error
> situations.

Yup, that makes sense.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.