Re: Changes to the Stop method

On 09/25/2013 07:21 PM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> On 2013-09-25 14:30, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>>
>> Chrome will change its behaviour to conform to this text, subject to the
>> rules imposed by the required isolation between tabs.
>>
>> This means that:
>>

>>    *
>>
>>      When two tracks in the same tab are fed from the same source, stop()
>>      will cause both of them to be ended. The one on which the call was
>>      not made will have an event named “ended” fired at it.
> To me, that sounds like a reasonable interpretation. An alternative
> could be that the camera (microphone) is not turned off until all tracks
> it feeds have been stopped. The advantage of your interpretation is that
> it is simpler to revoke access - you'd only have to stop one track (I
> guess that you'd have to call getUserMedia to use that source again).

That's one reason why I posted this .... some might have that alternate
interpretation. I think the words currently in the draft are pretty
explicit - that stop() actually stops the source - but people have been
thinking different things over time, and might not have noticed what the
draft currently says.

If we detect a consensus to change it, we can.

>>    *
>>
>>      When a source is used in two tabs, calling stop() in one of the tabs
>>      will not cause any effect on the other; the camera light will remain
>>      on, the per-tab indicator will continue to show for the tab that is
>>      still capturing, and media will continue to flow. Only when all tabs
>>      have released the camera will the camera actually be turned off.
> Seems reasonable.
>
>>    *
>>
>>      The stop() method on MediaStream is gone.
> I think it should have been removed from the draft some time ago.
>

> What (and perhaps this belongs to public-webrtc) it is not fully clear
> is what would happen if the source is a PeerConnection, or a WebAudio
> API. What would stop() mean in those cases? Do we need it?

I think that belongs on public-webrtc, yes. The method is there, so the
webrtc spec can't remove it, so it should define what it does to the
source (if anything).