Re: Extending createObjectUrl to MediaStream?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> Yes. For example there are plans to enable some kind of "private mode" for
> WebRTC MediaStreams that protects stream contents from inspection by the
> page. I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but if we allow
> MediaStreams to span domains it may get more complicated.

This scenario sounds very different from the one you outline next.

> More concretely,
> in Gecko we have experimental code to pipe HTML media element output into
> MediaStreams, so we already tag MediaStream data with origin information,
> but it's implemented in such a way that getUserMedia from one domain would
> be restricted in another domain (the other domain could render it in a media
> element, but it would be treated as cross-origin and thus would taint
> canvases it's drawn into, for example).

It's not clear why if as a page I decide to share the MediaStream
object I would not want all of that to be shared as I could share all
of that regardless, it'd just require more hoops to jump through.

> I think it may make sense to provide cross-origin MediaStream transfer at
> some point in the future, but I think we have more important things to work
> on first.

Again, what I'm trying to understand is why we have origin ties in the
first place. So far no objects carry origin information in this
regard.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/