Re: MediaStreams and Media elements

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>wrote:

>  3.       What happens if the MediaStream that is fetched has ended =
> true?   Should we silently continue to use the dead stream and let HTML5
> figure out what to do, or should we raise an error?  In the latter case,
> the HTML5 spec defines a MediaError  Media_ERR_Aborted , which we might be
> able to use.  It is defined as “The fetching process for the media
> resource<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/embedded-content-0.html#media-resource>was aborted by the user agent at the user's request.”  Isn’t  that sort of
> what happens when a local MediaStream is ended?

I think it should fire an "ended" event, not an error.

> **4.       **Do we want to say anything about remote MediaStreams?  In
> the case of a local MediaStream, NETWORK_IDLE makes sense for the
> networkState, because there is no network traffic.  But for a remote stream
> the NETWORK_LOADING state might be relevant.  On the other hand, the  Media
> Capture spec seems implicitly to deal with local streams (created by gUM).
> If we want to explicitly allow remote streams, we have to explain how they
> are created, etc.   I suppose we could  say that streams can be remote, but
> the method of creating such a stream is outside the scope of this spec.
> But then we’d at least have to say how the UA determines if a MediaStream
> is local or remote.

I don't think we should try to propagate network state from a MediaStream
into the MediaElement. It's OK to make the element's network state only
reflect the state of its own loads.

> ****
>
> **5.       **What do we say if a MediaStream with no Tracks is passed to
> a media element (i.e., in the fetch phase of the algorithm)?  Do we treat
> this as if the media element had fetched unplayable data? There is a *
> MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED*  that we could  use in this case.  Or is it
> another Media_ERR_Aborted?  The fetch algorithm checks for the presence of
> audio and video tracks at a certain point, and any Tracks added after that
> won’t be detected  (until load() is called again.)

I think it should behave just like it would if the media element loaded a
resource with no playable tracks. I think that means no error is thrown,
but I'm not sure.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq