RE: An alternate approach to enumerating devices

From: Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 19:57:53 +0000
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
I know that most users never change the defaults, but I still think that some of these difficulties are reduced if we give the user multiple security settings:
1.  "don't tell apps anything" (i.e., the app must call gUM to get any information at all)
2.  "tell them if I have video/audio, but nothing more"  (i.e. before the app calls gUM)
3.  "let them see labels, facing info, etc."

(If we introduce a distinction between trusted and untrusted apps, the levels above would apply to untrusted ones, I would think.)  This way the (few) people who understand the situation and care can get the behavior that they want.

- Jim