Re: Super-academic, highly-abstract meta-modelling time: The Media Path

Hi

Thanks for presenting this in a structured way.

On 2013-02-15 02:05, Martin Thomson wrote:

> *__Make It Simpler, /Please/*
> One major thing we could do to simplify things is to dump the idea of
> mandatory vs. optional constraints.  This model supports a lot of
> flexibility without having "soft" constraints.  Anything you don't care
> that much about can be applied as settings after connecting the track.
>
> I can actually see how this model could be considered *way *too
> complicated as it is without optional constraints.  It's already hard
> enough to implement.  More importantly, as a user of the API, it's very
> difficult to understand the model sufficiently that you can choose
> optional constraints that produce sensible, or even predictable, outcomes.

I think this is a step in the right direction (the direction of getting
something implementable and testable).

Perhaps we should add a media path image, similar to the one you
present, to the spec.

I agree with the previous comments about camera direction being the most
important constraint for selection. Even though the main camera on the
back of my device might have better performance, it's not likely that I
would want to use it for video conferencing anyhow.

/Adam