RE: Super-academic, highly-abstract meta-modelling time: The Media Path

Thanks for the write-up.  It really frames the discussion

>__Other Settings, Implications and Interactions
The other settings that we've seen (fillLightMode) directly affect sources.  These are easy: constraints can't specify conflicting values.

However, this implies that the first track to apply a given setting determines the operating mode for the source.  As long as that track lives, its setting is the one that wins and other tracks are either unable to attach to the source, or unable to apply another setting.
This is not ideal when settings interact.  We might manage as long as error feedback indicates that the error is due to there being other constraints on other tracks.  Or maybe we need to expose both the set of all possible modes along with the current set of possible modes, noting of course that the track that made the current setting could change it at any time.  That could result in an API that is a little hard to explain properly.  I don't have a good answer to this problem.

What about source settings that are directly manipulated by the end user?  For instance, what if the user is directly able to change the fillLightMode? If a track has already been initiated with a certain source setting and the settings change, then should this be an error condition?  I would think that some applications may be content to live with the end-user initiated settings change without destroying the track.  One possible approach is to define a settings change listener of some sort, which notifies the application when a settings change has occurred (due to end user interaction, or another track initialization, etc. – the cause of the settings change does not need to be exposed to the application).  Then the application can handle the settings change in any way it wants to  - treat it as an error, or continue the track with the new settings.