Re: Camera / Scanner / Image Capture

On 1/31/2013 3:50 PM, Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> I have been reading this document
> (http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html#local-content)
> "Media Capture and Streams". I have been interested in the creation of
> an HTML 5 methodology to capture sill images to be processed into a
> document storage system. Basically you can think of it this way, there
> is an order in our software, and now the customer has need to scan
> documents and attach these to the order to satisfy legal requirements.
>
> Our current methodology relies on Active X controls which are browser
> specific and subject to frequent failure. Rather, I would like to have
> system which instructs the browser to launch the OS scanning and
> camera's device controls, allow the user to select the desired
> scanning or camera device, and then pull in the image data from the
> device.
>
> I have seen much focus on getUserMedia in the direction of live
> streaming media like web cams or audio devices (which is great). But
> almost completely missing is a still image capture capability
> illustrated by this document
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/), or if its there it seems
> so buried that one struggles to find it.
>
> Is there any thought towards adding this camera / scanner type
> functionality to getUserMedia? Thanks much,

In addition to what's been mentioned, Firefox's mozGetUserMedia() on
Android (only) supports "picture: true" and when invoked will ask the OS
to pop up an app capable of taking a picture  (and have the user select
from available apps - camera, gallery, etc).  (I'll note that
temporarily this is broken in Nightly, but works in Aurora/Beta/Release.)

We don't expect picture:true to  be a final API; it was meant to drive
discussion of this general issue (and as such has largely failed so far).

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org