Re: Expect behavior of calling stop before receiving the onstart event on MediaRecorder API?

On 12/09/2013 02:28 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
> Harald,
>    Task B is not waiting for an external event.  It is queued waiting for task A to complete.  Once A completes, B takes over the single thread.

I was talking about the behaviour of Task A, not task B.

In particular, this line in the spec for the "start" method:

 1. Set|state|to 'recording' and wait until media becomes available
    from|stream|.

Since that wait isn't for a definite period, this means that the UA
stops for an indefinite period, since no other tasks can be executed.

I think it should rather say something like:

   2. Set state to "recording" and return.

Then, somewhere else (a new section 2.4?), say

"During the lifetime of the Recording object, the following procedures
are followed:"

If the state is "recording":

... steps 3-7 from the "start" method

(BTW, I think step 5 is specified in terms of an earlier version of the
spec - it talks about setting recording to false; I think it should set
the state to "inactive".)

(BTW(2): I think we may need to have a state between "inactive" and
"recording", so that the async processing knows whether or not to raise
the "start" event. Something like:

    (in "start" description): Set state to 'starting' and return.

    (in async description):

    when data becomes available:

    1. If state is "starting", set the state to "recording", raise a
"start" event
        and create a blob for gathering data.
    2. Gather the data into the current Blob.
    3. If the timeSlice..... <language unchanged>

    when the stream becomes "ended":

    <language unchanged>