Re: Bug 23934 - Proposal: Always launch permission prompt to avoid leakage

On 12/5/13 3:40 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 5 December 2013 11:25, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>> "Something Broke" [OK] = UX #FAIL
> I have to agree.  That said, I wouldn't expect a dialog.  Nor would I
> expect the doorhanger to be shown in this case.
>
> Refering to the current UX in Firefox, what I think Jan-Ivar should do
> is put the gUM icon in place without the hanger.  If the user selects
> the icon, open the doorhanger with a note: "This site has requested
> access to devices that you don't have." There's no need for buttons
> here, which would imply action, doorhangers disappear when they lose
> focus, which should be enough

Yeah, that's probably what I'd do if we went this way. I could also call the error callback after a random number of seconds, e.g. 1-5 seconds. Just enough variability so an app cannot tell the difference between camera absence and user rejection.

I argue it's an intrusion for an app to know the difference. If an app knows you have a certain camera then it can bully you into giving permission to it, and we're back to unplugging devices. UX FAIL.

.: Jan-Ivar :.