Re: MediaStream Recording : record() method

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Greg Billock <gbillock@google.com>wrote:
>
>> First, I think the recording API should be tuned for latent behavior, so
>> that the recording product can be stored to long-term storage. That is, an
>> app shouldn't expect to be able to get real-time recording from the API.
>> For use cases where that's important, we have PeerConnection.
>>

> Depends on what you mean by "real-time recording". Using MediaRecorder to
> losslessly stream data as close to real time as possible is a valid
> use-case --- our WebRTC people have told me that lossless PeerConnection is
> not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Real-time to me means "adapting lossy-ness to ensure minimum latency" --
that is, what PeerConnection does, and why it may will never support
uniform compression methods.

On an unloaded high-end machine, I agree that the MediaRecorder ought to
produce very consistent and relatively low-latency callbacks so the stream
will end up being pretty real-time. Our plan in Chrome is to buffer through
long-term storage to make handling the pressures of the recording process
consistently and make constraints on the app using the API less stringent.
That approach is optimized for non-real-time recording, which I think is
fine, as that's the sweet spot for the API. The advice would be "if you're
using MediaRecorder to essentially write your own PeerConnection, you're
doing it wrong." On the other hand, if you have a good system and a good
connection, you should be able to, for example, upload a recorded stream to
cloud storage in quasi-real-time with good responsivity.