Re: Settings retrieval/application API Proposal (formerly: constraint modification API v3)

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 04:21 PM, Mandyam, Giridhar wrote:
> This proposed interface proposes adding at least 47 new attributes to an
> interface that at the moment has something like two attributes
> (mandatory and optional constraints). Several of these need definitions
> that are not clear to me.

We should separate the discussion like this: anything that is absolutely
not possible to do via JavaScript today (e.g. set the flash, set the
zoom mode, rotate the video stream, select the front/back camera, etc)
should be added to this interface ASAP. Anything that could, at least
initially, be modeled in JavaScript should be left out of a first
version of the spec (i.e. anything to do with image processing such as
faceDetection, skintoneEnhancement, redEyeReduction, etc). We can always
add such things to browsers later of course*!

We are specifically trying not to let this get too complex and laying
the groundwork for something shippable in the short term. We want to
ship something in 2012/2013 after all :)

Kind regards,

- Rich

* Looking at some of the features of this proposal (e.g. faceDetection,
skintoneEnhancement, redEyeReduction and to a slightly lesser extent
saturation, sceneMode, iso, etc) we're going to need to document very
extensive image processing algorithms in our spec and very extensive
tests to ensure interop across different implementations for these
methods. While some of those features will take effect at the source
themselves, we are likely to require specific algorithms for fallback
software implementation of these methods (where such features are not
supported by web cameras themselves). That will be a lot of work.