Re: Settings retrieval/application API Proposal (formerly: constraint modification API v3)

On 9/3/2012 2:48 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK wrote:
> Travis,
>
> overall I like this a lot. It is very clear which objects you can use to
> change properties of the generated media ("MediaDevices"), which I think
> is a good thing.

This effectively causes a pointer to the source to follow along with
tracks, providing a reasonable approximation of my proposal, in a
simple-to-understand and use form.

The one issue that this doesn't address directly is competing settings -
if you fork a track to two streams, and consumers use them to set
different values for a parameter, you have to take the
"last-setter-wins" approach.  This is a viable answer, but one that may
cause pain for applications that don't want that answer.

  (I also know that constraints are being documented in a separate
> registry; I personally have no strong view on the right thing to do in
> this respect - to me it matters more that we sort out when and how they
> can be applied and that there is a way to add more data as experience
> shows the need).
>
> You do not discuss the relation between checking and setting properties
> of a MediaDevice using this proposal and the application of constraints
> (beyond "video") at getUserMedia time. To me it seems that they're
> complementary rather than conflicting: constraints at getUserMedia time
> helps the UA order (and perhaps prune) the list of available devices to
> the user in the dialog presented (if constraints are mandatory it could
> even lead to a failure without involving the user).

I'll add that all track sources that want to allow changes need to have
MediaDevices.  For example, a PeerConnection output stream will need to
create MediaDevice interfaces for each track, allowing requests for
changes to be forwarded up to the JS application to deal with (or
reject/ignore).  Ditto a track sourced at a <video> element.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org