From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:harald@alvestrand.no]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 5:23 AM
To: Jim Barnett
Cc: public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: Lossless modes (Re: approaches to recording)

On 10/12/2012 05:39 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:

	Harald,

	The lack of real-time delivery is not normally an issue for
speech recognition systems, because they run many times faster than real
time, and can catch up quickly once the data is available.  So if the
delays are short enough, the user will not perceive them.  And if the
delays are longer, well... then speech recognition will take a long
time.  People are used to stuff being slow on the internet, aren't they?

Changing the subject, because this is a very different subject:

The problem with "just" adding "lossless mode" to a MediaStream
attachment to a PeerConnection is that it requires replacing the whole
protocol stack underneath that transport - the idea of
somewhat-unreliable, but always-reasonably-fast, transmission is deeply
embedded into the RTP/UDP protocol suite.

I don't even want to propose that the IETF takes on defining a
corresponding protocol suite at this time. It's MUCH simpler (seen from
my side as running-back-and-forth-between-W3C-and-IETF) to define a
local recording format that doesn't lose any bits, but also has no
fast-delivery expectations.

What does the current contact center and speech industry do when faced
with SIP telephone systems?

-          Jim