Re: recording proposal

On 10/07/2012 09:45 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:

> Harald,
>
> Travis and I started with record() attached to MediaStream, but we ran
> into problems:
>
> 1.Nothing I see requires that a MediaStream have only a single video
> track.  Should recording blend all the video tracks into one
> incomprehensible mess?  (The <video> element has a concept of the
> 'active' or 'primary' video track, but MediaStream doesn't.)

I'm not sure this is a valid issue, or it may be container format dependent.
If one tries to record something with multiple tracks onto a container
format that does not support them, failure is to be expected. But I
think some container formats can do this just fine (witness DVDs with
alternate camera angles). Subject matter expertise is needed here.
(I don't know the formats well enough.... I know it's possible to write
codecs in Javascript, but is writing a Matroska or DVI container
producer in Javascript something we expect people to do and get right?)

> 2.Any form of media processing (e.g., inserting still images into the
> video stream is one of the use cases, talking to an ASR system will be
> another) requires access to the individual media streams.

Yes, but that's not recording. (Which use case from the use cases
document were you thinking of?)

I can certainly argue for an API for individual stream access, but a) I
would not call it recording, and b) I would not call that satisfactory
for our recording use cases.

> As far as I can tell, you need both combined recording and access to
> the individual tracks.  If that's the case, it's better to start off
> with a Track level API and figure out how to form a combined recording
> on top of it, than to start off with a Stream level API and try to
> extract the individual tracks from it.

I think the common case is the full-stream recording, and the access to
individual-track data is the advanced case. I'd want to do the common
case first.
YMMV.