Re: revised recording proposal

Jim Barnett wrote:
 > There hasn't been much discussion of this on the list.  (If it
matters, in the
 > speech recognition case, the buffers are likely to be about 200ms in
size,
 > though of course we can't guarantee that apps won't ask for other sizes.)

For any audio-only use-case, we could store several minutes of
compressed audio in the same space it takes to store one uncompressed HD
video frame for display.

> Mandyam, Giridhar wrote:
>> My understanding is that existing GC's handle the two data types very
>> differently (if I go into more details I may have to start discussing
>> proprietary implementations).

If your argument is, "You should do X, but I can't tell you why because
secretz," you're not likely to get a lot of agreement from the rest of
us engineers. AFAIK, in _our_ implementation the lifetime of Blobs and
ArrayBuffers are controlled in exactly the same way (there are
differences in how the actual collection happens because the GC knows
about the backing array used to store the data in ArrayBuffers, but has
to call a finalizer to NS_RELEASE the nsIDOMBlob for Blobs, but I think
those are completely irrelevant to this discussion).