RE: revised recording proposal

The scenario you mention (http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html#find-the-ball-assignment-video-effects-and-upload-requirements) requires capture of the video, post-processing to track the ball, rendering of the post-processed video, and upload.  The post-processing does not need to be done in real-time based on my reading.  Alice could record the 30 second file, read it using File API and post-process on raw data, and then upload using her favorite method.  In this case, a time sliced blob would be leveraged as part of the File interface, but it does not have to be part of the MediaRecorder interface.

Anyways, I thought one of our goals was to avoid overloading the MediaRecorder object to enable different media processing scenarios.

From: Jim Barnett [mailto:Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:55 AM
To: Mandyam, Giridhar; Harald Alvestrand; public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: RE: revised recording proposal

The most obvious use case for access to the raw data is 3.3, image processing for drawing a box around the bouncing ball.  The use case does not specifically mention access to the raw data, but I don't see how else you can do it.  This leads to requirements 6 and 7, which seem to me to require access to the timesliced Blob.

*  The UA must be able to extract image frames from video.
*  The UA must be able to insert image frames into a local video stream (or capture).

-          Jim