RE: Which videoTrack should be played in the <Video> element?

> From: Stefan Hakansson LK [mailto:stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com]
> I'm not sure we need to define anything more than is already in the
> HTML5 spec. There it is said more or less that
> * If a poster is defined for the video element, it is to be showed until video data
> is available. This is intended to be used to show some image when video is not
> available.
> * If the media resource (MediaStream in out case) has a video channel, "the
> element provides a paint source .... width=source intrinsic width ....
> height=source intrinsic height...".
>
> So to me it is quite clear for the case when a MediaStream has no video track,
> and the web author instantiates a video element with that MediaStream as
> source:
> * If a poster is defined, that has to be shown (with the right dimensions)
> * If a poster is not defined, no paint source should be provided, and dimension
> would be zero by zero pixels (as the intrinsic width/height is zero).
>
> My question would be, what happens if the author sets the width and height
> properties of the video element in this situation?

My guess is that with no poster defined, and no video track, that the background of the Video element is transparent (the CSS default) and would occupy the assigned space in layout, but with a transparent background. Of course CSS styling can make this into whatever it wants...