RE: HTML5 & NFC (Near Field Communications)

Alberto wrote:

> Nowdays I am working in a project in which scope is about Near Field
> Communications (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication
> <https://extmail.es.atosorigin.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://en.wikiped

> ia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication> ).

Your link is deceptive [0].

> This project must be on smartphones and tablets device as well.
> The reason I am mailing is simple, I am not sure to build a native
> applications (iOS, Android) or to use HTML5 technology.

This is the Media Capture Task Force [1] (we don't even have a description on [2]). I'm curious as to how/why you chose to send your email to this list....

You can review the full list of Working Groups [3] if you like. HTML is its own WG [4] along with the WhatWG [5]. APIs for the web are generally developed in either WebApps [6] or DAP [7], with special exceptions for WebRTC [8]. There's a Cryptography WG [9] being formed shortly which may be relevant depending on what you're doing.

> For that, does HTML5 support NFC (Near Field Communications)?

Specifically on the subject of NFC, the most likely answer is DAP or the joint WebApps-DAP task force on Intents [9].

The shortest answer is: `Today "HTML5" does not support NFC.`

> I mean if there
> is an API to access and control the NFC chip as native application does it.

We generally do not expose full control to native hardware in *any* web API. So if what you're asking for is full control (ala JSR), then I wouldn't spend any time looking. If all you want is to *do* stuff which /happens/ to involve NFC, then Intents may be the right answer (and in fact, I may be involved in writing a proposal on this topic at a later date).

[0] http://www.w3.org/Mail/

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2011Nov/0000.html

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/

[3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/activities