Re: Proposal for device "enumeration"

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:44:49 -0800
To: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Cc: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On 9 December 2012 22:47, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
> The fingerprinting surface is obviously greater if we expose a list of ids
> (getDeviceIds()) compared to only the length of such a list (which would be
> getNumDevices()).

Not so.  Fingerprinting pertains to the ability of the same tracker
bug being implanted in the two different sites in order to correlate
information about the same browser for the site.  For a single site,
installing a cookie (or stash something in local storage) provides a
more stable reference.  As long as every origin receives a different
identifier for the same device, then a list of identifiers is exactly
equivalent to getNumDevices().