Re: Proposal for device "enumeration"

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:09:04 -0800
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Cc: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On 7 December 2012 09:43, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Instead of a deviceId, I want to use a deviceIndex

This would ensure that identifier stability exists only for the
duration of a session.  How would you propose that removed/disabled
devices be handled?

> I think this is far easier to spec,

Yes.  But only marginally.

> less prone to fingerprinting,

No.  It's identical.

> and maintains almost all of the important use-cases.

That loses what I perceive to be the main advantage of having a
persistent identifier: namely that I can configure an application to
use the device that I prefer and that it will use that device each
time that I return.

I don't see there being any significant advantage to this other than
the ability to control whether you get the same device or a different
device when you ask a second time.  That's an improvement over status
quo, but not an especially compelling one.