Re: Comment to issues in MediaStream Capture Scenarios: Preview a stream

On 12/14/2011 05:10 PM, Bryan Sullivan wrote:
> Re issues in https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.htmlon
> "Preview a stream":
> Re Issue: "Audio tag preview is somewhat problematic because of the
> acoustic feedback problem (interference that can result from a loop
> between a microphone input that picks up the output from a nearby
> speaker). There are software solutions that attempt to automatically
> compensate for these type of feedback problems. However, it may not be
> appropriate to require implementations to all support such an acoustic
> feedback prevention algorithm. Therefore, audio preview could be
> turned off by default and only enabled by specific opt-in.
> Implementations without acoustic feedback prevention could fail to
> enable the opt-in? ":
> [bryan] I would prefer an option whereby the user can mute the mic
> output to speakers. This would allow the user to decide based upon the
> type/location of the mic and the type/location of speakers in use, and
> also allow the app to access the stream e.g. for level-setting
> purposes.

This is all possible with the media element as of today I would say, the
media element can be muted and unmuted. It is just up to the app to give
the user the control you ask for.

> Re Issue: "It makes a lot of sense for a 1:1 association between the
> source and sink of a media stream; for example, one media stream to
> one video element in HTML5. It is less clear what the value might be
> of supporting 1:many media stream sinks—for example, it could be a
> significant performance load on the system to preview a media stream
> in multiple video elements at once. Implementation feedback here would
> be valuable. It would also be important to understand that scenario
> that required a 1:many viewing of a single media stream. ":
> [bryan] I agree, I cannot think of a typical use case that would
> require 1:N association.
Disagree, as said in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2011Dec/0062.html;
Tim also gave a good summary of reasons why 1:N is an important case.