Snapshot support (Re: First draft available)

Renaming this thread too.....

On 12/01/2011 11:47 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

>>> One issue that remains fully open is the capture of stills. A typical use case would be to acquire the video feed from a camera in order for it to serve as a viewfinder in the application, and then be able to trigger a still capture from the device. Note that frame-grabbing is not at all an option here since you will never get anywhere near the quality that the device can produce.
>>>
>> Device controls in general have not been addressed. At the last WEBRTC meeting, the suggestion was that device control was natural to do with "hints" (such as "resolution=bestPossible") on getUserMedia, but that interface hasn't been described yet.
> I see how hints could be useful for some settings (given the broad variability in features) but I fail to see how they could enable stills capture. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything, I was expressing myself unclearly (is that
a word?).
We (WEBRTC) haven't thought about snapshots, since it was not in our use
cases; I pointed out the "hints" thing because it's not something you
can read out of our documents yet, and seemed relevant.

Currently discussion is ongoing on adding support to the audio
MediaStreamTrack for a DTMF interface that would only be relevant for
outgoing media streams connected to a PeerConnection; it seems that we
might want a similar sometimes-present interface for snapshot on a video
MediaStreamTrack.

Or there might be a better way to do it.