Re: Minutes of the W3C Rights Automation Community Group 2020-07-22

Hi Renato,

Thoughts inline below:

________________________________
From: Renato Iannella <r@iannel.la>
Sent: 23 July 2020 13:42
To: public-md-odrl-profile@w3.org <public-md-odrl-profile@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Minutes of the W3C Rights Automation Community Group 2020-07-22

Hi, in respect to the below, what are differences between:

md:Notify and odrl:inform

  1.  Can be wider in scope than actions "performed on or in relation to the Asset"
  2.  "Notify" is a common term of the trade (market data licensing)
  3.  Its semantics are directly tied to the notions of debtor/creditor
  4.  We'll likely need to apply validation constraints to the term that wouldn't apply outside of this profile - though I don't know if this is a reason to change the term.
  5.  Experimentally: we may need all actions to be sub-classes of odrl:Action in order to formalise the notion of compliance

md:Consent and odrl:obtainConsent

  1.  This covers the action of giving of consent, rather than obtaining consent
  2.  Same debtor/creditor, validation, and sub-class points as above.

md:Compensate and odrl:compensate

  1.  Meanings are the same, but:
  2.  Same debtor/creditor, validation, and sub-class points as above.

md:Atttribute and odrl:attribute

  1.  Meanings are the same, but:
  2.  Same debtor/creditor, validation, and sub-class points as above.

md:Usage and odrl:use

  1.  "Usage" is not an action but an "ActionScope" that provides a context to some of the Actions above.

md:recipient and odrl:recipient

  1.  I think the md version is wider in scope as it needs to capture Service Facilitators who aren't "receiving the result/outcome of exercising the action" but maybe involved in creating that result, acting on behalf of the assignee in a very limited and circumscribed fashion.
  2.  The sensitivity here is who has (any) access to the asset rather than who receives the result of the action.

md:role and odrl:function

  1.  This property points outside ODRL to roles defined in a metamodel describing the actors in the data supply chain: Originators, Providers, Consumers, Service Facilitators, and Administrators.
  2.  It's definition should be improved!

md:unitOfCount and odrl:unitOfCount

  1.  They mean exactly the same, and we should be using the ODRL version.

Ben

Cheers - Renato