RE: MBUI limitation

Dear all,

It seems to me that UML metamodels and OWL ontologies are located at the
same level of abstraction. In the case of MB-UIDE, the initial UML metamodel
has been transformed into a XML Schema. Several different transformations
are possible for this purpose. OWL is more expressive than a XML Schema
since classes, instances, and properties could be expressed. In addition,
OWL benefits from several mechanisms such as symmetry and inverse
properties, which XML does not.

Second, a UML metamodel could be transformed into OWL. See for instance:
http://topquadrantblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/converting-uml-models-to-owl-par
t-1.html . XML could be also transformed into OWL (see for instance
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00624055/), but the resulting OWL
ontology is less expressive than the initial UML metamodel.

For me, there are several advantages of having an OWL ontology (as we did in
http://www.w3.org/wiki/images/5/5d/UsiXML_submission_to_W3C.pdf):
- it is a W3C standard that has been largely used in certain domains like
FOAF and Dublin Core
- it is at the same level of abstraction of UML class diagram (which is a
OMG standard)
- it comes already with its own representation, like OWL2 XML syntax (no
problem with different XML syntaxes)
- it supports triple-stores that are supported by various development
environments

My 2 cents,
Jean

Début du message réexpédié :