Re: [math-on-web] CG meeting minutes, 2018/01/18

Hi !

I try to follow your discussions. I wanted to post a small commentary to
try to progress. I hope not to disturb this exchange thread.

The mathematic notation on web and others support like mails ou sms are
the user adoption. I'm a teacher and my dream is to exchange mathematic
SMS with collegues or students.

On my authoring tool that I try to developp, I realised that I need
three interfaces :
- An user interface : "Write As You Speak or Heard", "3 times 12" in
english, "3 fois 12" in french, ... . I think this is the only way to be
fast adoped.
- An internal interface to display or save formula : MathML presentation
markup or Latex.
- And finaly an other internal interface to exchange formula with other
applications : MathML content markup.

Common Users don't have to deal with complex Markup and we need them to
generalise mathematic on web : JavaFX support MathML but the display has
been broken since 7 ans. The developpment team answer me that it not a
priority bug !

I have a dream, I hope that one day, many angry user mails will change
this :-)

Displaying streching characters is also a problem. I found that
Java/Swing solution was interresting. In some configurations it's allow
to mixed glyphs from fonts and user glyph drawing. In fact all glyphs
are curves, we can use a specific application (like Harfbuzz) to draw it
or draw "by hand" for complexe glyph. I don't understand why nobody
achieved to extend Donald Knuth approch with TextFont. As you discribe
it, most of rendering mathematic application use different font sizes
first and many glyphs for higher characters (exactly as Knuth several
years ago). But computers speed is faster than in the past and we should
be able to draw directly stretching glyphs.

Guy.

Links:
------
[1] https://discourse.wicg.io/t/font-metrics-api/2417