RE: [math-on-web] CG meeting minutes, 2017/04/27 JeanKap

Oh! The perennial k-12 basic math problem.

And this is where things start to go toward the "dark arts" in Ken Rawson of the IEEE's opinion.

There's no way to completely separate presentation from semantic meaning in elementary math since the students learn the meaning as much from the visualized format as they do from the logical concepts that go with the format. The fact that there is no one international format compounds the problem.

I did some toolbar work in MathFlow a few years that pulled in some of David Carlisle's CTOP markup in order to get elementary math to work in MathJax. It was very template intensive and required a lot of extra nudging by including mspace and mphantom elements. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done in that instance.

I still have the photo samples from that particular project.

I officially work for MHE higher ed now which has some requirements for elementary math constructs - especially in remedial materials. I can request samples from a contact in K-12 if required. I'll need to know what grade range and specific topic you guys want to see in order to get samples.

Also, the big thing in K-12 math these days is less about two dimensional layouts and more about "everyday" math. These problems are highly graphic and very much related to counting, ordering, and sorting, e.g., "here is a handful of change from Johnny's pocket. How much money does he have?" With an image of a variety of coins of different denominations. This stuff is way different from the worksheets of my K-12 experience. The approach gained popularity in the early 90s (I know this because this is when my own kid was taking math and I was helping with homework).

Please let me know what samples are important in terms of group priorities. Don't have priorities? I'm happy to suggest stating with long division and stacked addition/subtraction/multiplication including the need to demonstrate worked out problems. This stuff was the most intensive stuff I had to work with in my MathFlow configuration project because every new column in either direction required yet another template to support not only the column, but also the need to support cross-outs and carry-overs.

Hope this helps you guys envision some of the things I was working on. I'm happy to discuss further. I think that there's a lot of progress that could be made by all of the math authoring and rendering tools out there.

Best,

Jean Kaplansky
Content Architect/Strategist | Technical Account Manager | UI/UX |
Accessibility Analyst | XML, HTML, and CSS Developer |
Instructional Designer
+1.518.930.1068 (tel:+1.518.930.1068)
jeankap@earthlink.net
@jeankaplansky