Re: Minutes: MathML "intent" meeting, 1 Oct, 2020

Hi Neil, Patrick,

I suggest replacing

"It will add *attributes *that allow specification of mathematical intent
on Presentation MathML elements to enhance accessibility and searchability
of math."

with

"It recommends methods to specify the intent on MathML elements to enhance
accessibility and searchability of math."

in section 2-1 MathML4. And following the same spirit replace section 2-2
with

* Test suites and implementation reports for the specification
MathML Accessibility Techniques
* Guides on enhancing MathML for accessibility and search
* A living catalog for annotations beyond those defined in a MathML 4
recommendation.
* Sample code that converts default Mathml to a persistent form of "intent"
enhanced MathML.
* At least one TeX-to-MathML converter that incorporates
accessibility/searchability annotations in its MathML output.
* Code to convert between strict Content MathML to MathML with
accessibility and searchability enhancement.
* Sample code for conversion of intent enhanced MathML to an external form
such as speech or plain text output

I was under the impression that we propose ways to foster semantic
annotation beneficial for the applications `accessibility' and `search'.

As expressed before, I think the decision that annotations to presentation
MathML is the best way to achieve better accessibility and search is
*premature*. I really respect and appreciate your work and discussions and
think the collection of vocabularies and ontologies is a great achievement.
Also, we share the goal to simplify and standardize the enhancement
process.

However, I would like to avoid confusion on the stability of MathML in the
public and guarantee a continuous transformation from the current MathML
standard to the next MathML standard. A competing way to express semantics
is not beneficial would not be a good message.
Moreover, I think we should learn from the mistakes done in the past and
interact more with other communities. Improving accessibility and search is
not something only mathematical formulae have. For instance, SVG images
face very similar problems. Also in Europe and in Germany particularly
there is now a big push towards using knowledge graphs and schema.org
annotations. Maybe there is also something we can learn from those
initiatives.

I would therefore ask everyone in this working group to be brave and look
beyond the well-known paths what other communities have done or are doing.
My observation is that math is special but not as special as I originally
thought.

I hope my suggestion finds your consideration. Have a restful weekend and
stay healty.

Moritz