Re: EBNF was Re: [markdown-testsuite] Add End Of Line (EOL) definition/tests. (#1)

* Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-28 13:27 -0500]:
> On 28 November 2012 18:05, David J. Weller-Fahy
> <dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
> IMHO that is an inline... lets insert it when we have other inlines
> defined?  Agreed it needs to be somewhere on the border of text and
> eoln... but I'd rather get the basics down then work up to it if
> that's OK?  We've no agreement on <br/>

Sounds good to me - so the wiki will just be a paragraph definition for
now.

       PARAPOST ::= ([^#x0020] SP?)

> I don't think that specifies it?
> ([^0x20] sp) | [^0x20]  how about that?

Sorry, it was missing a ? (see above), the revised version captures it.

> > That covers the "paragraph cannot end with more than one space", but
> > it is not the paragraph termination.
>
> I can't parse that sentence?

That should have been: This covers the line break exception, but I think
it was ill-conceived, and am removing it. ;)

> Something smelly David? Can I review it once you've removed <br/>
> syntax please?

See wiki EBNF page, added section for paragraph-only definition:

http://www.w3.org/community/markdown/wiki/EbnfGrammar

> Ah, missed EOF? blank line could terminate on eof.

Thanks!

> > Hrm... I'll have to get clarity on that point, as I usually take the
> > definition of EBNF to be: If it doesn't explicitly say it, you can't
> > do it.  I didn't see any use of symbols within square brackets, just
> > parentheses.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#Notations  XML 1.1 look at char syntax

Thanks for the reference, but every example I see where square brackets
are used have Unicode points, not symbols.  What am I missing?

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]