Re: [markdown-testsuite] Add End Of Line (EOL) definition/tests. (#1)

* Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-28 02:56 -0500]:
> On 28 November 2012 03:12, David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-public-markdown@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
> > * Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-27 03:21 -0500]:
> > > Have you seen a problem with the current definition,
> > > http://www.w3.org/community/markdown/wiki/Syntax_Semantics_Core_Profile
> >
> > The only problem I see is that it's not OS agnostic, but it's also
> > not what I'm trying to define - it's the definition of the end of a
> > paragraph, not the end of a line character sequence.
>
> Why is it not OS agnostic please?  It says it is the end of a
> paragraph, no more, for the reasons above.

Ah, I think here we're getting to the crux of the miscommunication.

* Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> [2012-11-28 08:53 -0500]:
> Le 28 nov. 2012 à 22:37, Dave Pawson a écrit :
> > As I've said Karl, I don't think there is a single valid block
> > terminator.
>
> It is not about block terminator. :)
> It is about newline or EOL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline
>
> These are two different topics

Karl hit most of this, but I want to clarify (to make sure we are all on
the same page, or at least in the same chapter ;).  In the
syntax/semantics wiki page, an end of paragraph is defined as below.

	\n\ws*\n | \n\ws*EOF | EOF

The problem is that \n is a specific character, or at least is *used* as
a specific character in many settings, it represents Line Feed (LF,
U+000A).  I think you are using it as a generic "this is the end of the
line" sequence, but in common use it means U+000A.  That is why the
definition for end of paragraph is not OS agnostic, it won't work on
Windows in some cases, and on old Macs in others.

By defining EOL as I have, we have something to replace the use of \n
within block terminations, but which applies to almost all end of line
standards in use today.

By the way, I am in no way committed to the particular name used, we can
call it something other than "EOL" if you'd prefer, but we should not
use standard representations of single characters (\n) to represent a
generic OS agnostic sequence (the end of a line).

Does that make more sense?
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]