Re: para definition, syntax and semantic. Summary

On 26 November 2012 10:53, Joshua Kalis <kalisjoshua@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> You are correct and incorrect at the same time about the line breaks in a
> paragraph and CSS handling the display. Your first statements about HTML for
> structure and CSS for style are correct. However the whitespace within a
> paragraph are not an issue once converted and rendered into HTML since
> multiple spaces are collapsed into a single space; so soft breaks in the
> text will have no effect on the display in a browser. That also means that
> the soft breaks don't help or hurt the HTML display of the text. The job of
> CSS would be to define a container for the text that constrains the
> text-wrap to a readable width. Once an HTML document has been created, that
> document is not intended for human readability, it is merely a document
> ready for rendering by a browser; thus the ~80 column limit is no longer a
> concern (again for an output file, in this case an HTML document).

Yep. Initially I thought that githubMD approach was better, but then I
realized that their approach only made sense because most people there
use markdown for writing documention, so that's why most people
"wraps" lines at ~80 columns (in that case, we are talking about the
"input file", that even being "input" for a lot of people it's what
they use). Obviously, if the paragraph (as in html) is long it doesn't
matter, because it's not for human readability as you stated. So I
guess we agree, and I just had a problem in communicating  my
thoughts.

> Now, I am ambivalent to the choice of whether we collapse the lines within a
> paragraph element of the output document or not. I just don't think that it
> makes that much difference either way; now take that from someone who is
> well versed in HTML and not any of the other target types such as TeX or
> LaTeX (I didn't even know there was a difference between the two).

That means

http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?text=This+is+supposed+to+be+one%0Aparagraph+even+when+the+input%0Ais+divided+in+more+lines+with%0Athe+only+intention+to+help%0Areadability%3F

So, all the text is wrapped on one "<p>"?

> However, semantically speaking, breaking paragraphs with <br /> should not
> be commonplace anyway. Poems are the best example I can think of where this
> actually fits. That being said I don't think that it should be encouraged to
> use the soft break syntax since it is improper and less readable in the MD
> document. When the paragraph above ends at the line-length of all the lines
> above and below then in the MD document the paragraphs are difficult to
> distinguish.
>
> Clarification of "less readable" from above:

Maybe your email client did some format? I don't understand your point
in the text D:

Regards!
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX