Re: para termination

On 24 November 2012 18:39, Ryan Freebern <rfreebern@unionstmedia.com> wrote:

> I still don't think I agree. First, this should cover all whitespace
> characters, not just spaces.

Agreed, For this purpose white space is 0x20 or 0x9, space or tab

> Second, I think it should be normalized to just
> a newline.
Separate, but closely related..

> In my opinion, the para definition should be:
>
> 0 to 3 space characters, arbitrary text, then EOF or (a newline character
> followed by a blank line).

Clarification if I may. Do you agree
\s{0-3} arbitrary text termination.

Testing with currentMD,
it would appear that termination can consist of
\n\n   | \ws+\n |\nEOF | \ws+EOF|EOF

where ws is 0x20 |  0x9, I.e. any number of white space characters,
(or the 'empty line').

> and "blank line" should be defined as
>
> Any number of whitespace characters followed by a newline character or EOF.
>
> This preserves Gruber's intent ("A blank line is any line that looks like a
> blank line"), which I think is important to the readability/usability of the
> markdown source. The definition of "blank line" will also affect the
> definition of lists and embedded HTML.

I intend and believe that my definition matches this.

Curiously, or not (I'm not sure), subsequent 'blank lines' are ignored totally,
yet one in this line termination mode, has effect. This provides a definition
of normalization?
1. A blank line (\ws+\n) terminates a preceding paragraph
2. two or more blank lines are minimized to a single one.

Note that headings are parsed differently from para's? I.e. cannot be
continued on the next line.
#heading
This is a following para

para
this is the same para

So heading termination is different from para termination. worth noting.

Tested with currentMD and file below (assuming no changes with post...
can we have attachments?)

Tests for para start and termination

plain para, terminated by two \n

plain para, only one \n