RE: Circle Support For MapML

>  how can I draw a 10-metre radius circle around the Greenwich Observatory at 51.48N, 0.00E? This is a simple task using common web map Javascript APIs

Exactly true, so I think the answer is to have a programmatic API on the map or layer client element, or allow a JavaScript library to continue to provide such an API.  I've opened an issue on the map element proposal.  https://github.com/Maps4HTML/HTML-Map-Element/issues/12

> that calculating the vertex co-ordinates for a polygon-approximation to a circle is feasible, it’s also cumbersome.

Not if provided by an API? How do you envisage the feature being used, for example?

> there's a mismatch in the nomenclature and supported values between the geometry element in MapML and those of the area’s shape attribute in the new map element proposal

That's true.  In the proposed HTML extension,  the <layer> element would be the new way to encode or reference spatial features, with the <area> element being left more or less as-is (syntactically),  in order to provide a fall-back capability (not to mention not breaking the existing Web) for HTML authors who may want to provide a progressive enhancement to their page for more capable browsers but who want to support older browsers with the same page.  If the parent map element runs with the extended semantics, the child layer elements would activate; if the extended semantics aren't available, then the child area elements would activate, if any. I tried to give a working example of this in a blog post I wrote, using the custom element.  You can 'simulate' a future (non-map-proposal-compliant) browser's native support by disabling JavaScript and reloading the page, in which case the fallback behaviour of the <area>  elements would come into play.
http://maps4html.github.io/Web-Map-Custom-Element/blog/progressive-web-maps.html

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Rushforth

Technology Advisor
Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation / Earth Sciences Sector
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
mailto:peter.rushforth@canada.ca / Tel: 613-759-7915

Conseiller technique
Centre canadien de cartographie et d’observation de la Terre / Secteur des sciences de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada