Re: PX and PT and VA Re: Text Zoom Challenges and Examples

Hi Jonathan, responses inline:

> On Sep 27, 2021, at 8:08 AM, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,  can you help me understand how this would correspond to 400% of the default resize of body text at a viewport width of 1280 CSS pixels width.

Well first off, all the samples on the text zoom experiment <https://www.myndex.com/WEB/TextZoomExample> up to 500% fit on a 1280 wide screen, though the 600% test does not (1360) and that’s part of the point, that increasing the smallest text to 80px (500%) and the largest text to 108px is a reasonable goal. The next increment with smallest to 96px (600%) and largest to 120px is a little tougher to handle.

On that page, the 400% sample is the one with a 64px body font.

> It’s also been my experience that most people with low vision even after 40 hold things more closely than the standard viewing distance.

Yes, of course. I certainly do… but I need fairly high diopter reading glasses to read anything closer than about two feet. I usually wear computer-set reading glasses to set the focus for about two feet.

Two points:
The guidelines we create should first not consider people having to use bad posture or positions to read a screen.
The guidelines should aim to solve the need based on the same view distance that a given device is designed for. the iPhone is designed to be used at about 12”. A laptop, more like 2’.

Keep in mind that we can reasonably accommodate up to about 20/100 at a “normal” viewing distance (this is the 500% example).

Users above 20/100 would still need to view substantially closer to the screen.

As can be seen from the examples page, body text over 80px starts to get untenable. 80px (with a 0.5 x-height ratio) is the critical size for someone with 20/100 vision.

Please let me know of any further questions.

Thank you!

Andy

Andrew Somers
Senior Color Science Researcher