RE: Agenda posted for LVTF meeting tomorrow

Minutes are available at:

https://www.w3.org/2021/10/07-lvtf-minutes.html

Please see links (in minutes) for references, including GitHub issues and discussion threads.

We spent some time discussing terminology but did not arrive at ideal phrasing.  There was agreement that "Color Blindness" is only a small part of what we are addressing, and that this term is counterproductive.  Please inquire with friends, relatives, and colleagues as to preferred language.  The group plans to revisit terminology.

We discussed and agreed that font x-height is the critical metric for readability, including readability for people with low vision.  Unfortunately, font x-height is not a property which is directly supported in HTML via CSS.  Changes to the CSS specification are not in the domain of this TF, nor the AG WG, and there was some discussion regarding the best channels for communicating this concern.

  *   The guidance LVTF is developing can reference font x-height, regardless of its implementation status.
  *   LVTF members are at encouraged to participate directly in CSS activities.
  *   WAI liaison to CSS communities is via Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) WG, chairs Becky Gibson and Janina Sajka.

We discussed organizing our work and how to simplify the workflow and next steps.  The proposal for now is to divide our guidance into recommendation for "body text" and "non-body text".  The expectation is that "non-body text" will have further subdivisions.  This approach will introduce redundancy, but will simply our work in the near term, and aligns with the needs of our larger audience.  In parallel, we will also keep working with the characteristic-driven organization as well, since we have an audience for that as well.

The general approach to breakout or combine proposed supplemental guidance:

  *   Group under high level objectives
  *   Break into small digestible chunks
  *   Avoid writing formal personas but include user stories for all relevant guidance
  *   Create GitHub discussions for each guidance. Work in discussions until the item is framed.
     *   After framing move to markdown file on our repository
     *   When very close to finish move to other repository

We did not have the planned working session to review the proposed guidance and edit tables live.  Please think about items that you as a member can be assigned.