RE: Custom stylesheet question for LVTF

Hi Wilco,

From things that Wayne & Jon have said, and my own experimentation there are a few levels of customisation [1]:

  1.  Standard browser features (like zoom).

  2.  Within the authors styles, not aiming for layout changes.
e.g. underlining all links, over-riding focus styles. Mostly works at the moment.

  3.  Overriding layout styles, e.g. linearise everything except tables.
Very problematic, you generally have to ignore author styles and start again. Often get weird script issues and lots of unwanted content.

  4.  Author supplied customisation options. E.g. site based colour scheme changers, or the COGA examples from 2.1 (see my article for a screenshot from then). Whether the site provides the control or it is browser based doesn’t matter too much, the author has to do the work to create the variations.

I’m sure there are lots of different cases around levels 2 & 3, but those are examples I’ve seen people using.

So I think level 2 is currently still useful, and it isn’t just stylus. I’d include high-contrast mode and some dyslexia plugins (changing colours & fonts) at that level as well.

But as soon as you start over-riding layout it tends to become unusable very quickly, without an obvious solution.

Cheers,

-Alastair

1] https://alastairc.ac/2017/02/four-levels-of-accessibility-customisation/

From: Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>
Sent: 29 April 2020 12:05
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>; public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Custom stylesheet question for LVTF

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the input. How would you think this related to the requirements of success criterion 1.3.1? Because if it's impractical to write custom stylesheets that work anywhere, then does 1.3.1 even matter for custom stylesheets? If you need to write a new stylesheet for every site you want to have it used on, you don't need that site to use semantic markup. You can just make your custom styles based on whatever classes or IDs or whatever else they are using.

If "universal" stylesheets are no longer viable, then that puts custom stylesheets outside the reach of most people (anyone who doesn't know how to write them, basically). Is that correct?