From: Andrew Somers <me@AndySomers.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:00 PM
To: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: LV Settings for Mac OL

Indeed — Apple has been a consistent leader in accessibility for computers — I’ve been using macs since the 80s, and even the first mac in 1984 could speak (though real, useful screen readers (i.e. VoiceOver) wasn’t really useful till about 15 years ago.).

Nevertheless, in the early 90s I could control my Mac by voice, and have it read selected text to me. Even then the System& had a lot of accessibility built in.

Windows has consistently lagged behind Mac as far as the OS is concerned.

One aspect of the Mac vs Windows is particularly important for low vision: On a MAC, the menu bar is always fixed at the top of the screen. In Windows, the menu bar is always the top of a window, which is an inferior design especially for accessibility (not to mention fatigue).

With the Mac’s menu bar, when you drag the pointer UP, the top of the screen stops it at the menu bar, regardless of how fast it is moving. With Windows, you have to slow and stop the pointer, and waste more time and effort position the pointer over a menu, which is always going to be in a different position depending on the window.

When MS released Vista, they removed a lot of the direct key commands, forcing users to use the mouse more often, another de-enhancement for unfortunate windows users.

HOWEVER,

I’ve been examining different browsers — CHROME seems to have the best native “relative” accommodation built in, and there are several free extensions such as COLOR ENHANCER (it’s a Daltonizer - recolors to improve color discrimination and provide a better user experience for CVD) and DARK READER, a very good polarity inverter with lots of adjustments.

Andy